For anybody with a busy work/life schedule, it seems a million times easier to pick up the nicest looking cereal bar, with the healthiest looking wrapper, than to begin thinking about gathering ingredients and spending time baking your own home-made treats. Well snack out of that mindset, because there are a tonne of easy, healthy and delicious recipes out there to bring you a more rewarding, wholesome treat in minutes. Use the finished product as an incentive to get your partner, kids, siblings or friends to do the washing up, and you’ll be finished in half of the time! 😊
My first healthy snack are these lovely, not-too-sweet, chocolate cashew cookies which take less than 15 mins to bake. They go very well with a cup of tea and are best shared with family or friends. If you’d like to sweeten things up, you can drizzle some Nutella, or peanut butter onto the cookies when they’re baked, or else you can add a tbsp or two of chocolate chips into the mixture (don’t go overboard and take the healthy out of the recipe though 😛).
For sure, cashews have always been my favorite nuts. These tropical grown nuts are known to be the most fattening, but since I see the good in everything, I’d like to share that this is the ‘good’ kind of fat believed to reduce strokes and prevent heart disease. Overall, healthy fats provide energy, keep you feeling fuller for longer and are important for our bodies to absorb fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E & K.
As long as they’re not doused in salt, cashew nuts offer a heap of other upsides; protein, vitamins E and K, along with minerals like copper, phosphorus, and zinc, which are important for some of the most important bodily functions. Needless to say, once enjoyed in moderation, cashews bring us happiness and nothing to complain about.
This recipe makes 12 cookies and is:
- Cashew nuts, 2 cups
- Honey (or an alternative sweetener), 4 tblspns
- Cocoa powder, 1 tblspn
- Egg whites, x4
- Vanilla extract, 1/2 tspn
Additional ideas for inclusion:
- Cocoa nibs
- Milk/dark chocolate chips
- Peanut butter/Nutella to drizzle on top of the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl (please don’t waste the egg yokes), followed by the cashew nuts after you have ground them well, and mix.
- Add the cocoa powdered and mix further.
- Add the honey and vanilla essence, mixing well.
- Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper and dollop 12 equal sized amounts of dough evenly along the tray (this is a wet mixture, but don’t worry).
- Bake for approx 12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the middle of the biggest-looking cookie.
- Allow them to cool for 20 minutes and serve.