Sounds strange? Maybe. But if you think it tastes strange, I beg to differ. Avocado for me is a smoothie staple and with the right amount of added sweetness, it also enhances their taste, and especially their texture. Since I like my avocado smoothies and usually include oats in them, I thought I’d reverse the process by leaving the oats unblended, heat them and make this combination into a wholesome, warming breakfast. I love the freshness of what this recipe came to be, and the toppings really enhance it, and you can easily add your own ones once you’ve created the base of this meal. Included in the recipe are my favourite toppings. Tell me yours!
- Ripe avocado, x1
- Cashew nuts, x10
- Agave/Honey, 2 tblspns
- Vanilla extract, x1 tspn
- Milled chia seeds (optional), x1 tblspn
- Almond milk, x1 cup
- Organic oats, x1 cup
- Free range egg white, x1
- Nakd wholefoods salted caramel nibbles
- Goji berries
- Pistachio nuts
- Or else go for whatever tasty healthy things you like!
- Add the avocado, cashew nuts, vanilla extract, honey, chia seeds, and almond milk to a blender and blitz it all together. The mixture was sweet enough for me, but if your tooth is sweeter, just add a little more honey or agave syrup.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan over medium heat with some coconut oil, add the mixture followed by the oats and egg white. Stir the mixture constantly for approx. 10 mins or until the oats are soaked and expand on heating.
- Voila; don’t forget the toppings!