Insta polls are the way to go. Since I’ve become less active online (and feeling guilty) due to life getting in the way a bit more, it’s always so reassuring to get the engagement and direction from you guys as to what you’re more interested in seeing me cook on my instagram.
Obviously, whatever task you set me to in the kitchen, I will probably enjoy it – to some extent! It’s clear through my recipes that I’m not vegan or even vegetarian, but I really love switching things up and enjoying every kind of dish. I definitely have found that vegan products, most notably cheese and faux dairy products, have improved tremendously in the past few years and it really shows when vegan dishes like this are made.
This recipe was one I threw together based off a big selection of Mac & Cheese recipes I have researched and I am so delighted with how it turned out. One thing I wanted to make sure of was that it ended up being as creamy as tasty, and I feel like I did it justice. Please let me know what you think of it if you try it out.
- Macaroni (or any pasta you have), 700 g
- Vegan (or dairy cheddar if you like) cheese, 200 g
- Nutritional yeast, 1.5 tbsp
- Broccoli, 3/4 of a head, chopped well
- Carrots, 1 cup, chopped
- Sweet potato, 1 medium, diced
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp
- Vegan (or dairy if you prefer) butter, 3 tbsp
- Flour, 2 tbsp
- Almond milk (or dairy milk if you prefer), 500 mL (add slowly)
- Fresh garlic, 4 cloves, chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Chop the carrots, sweet potato, and broccoli and place into separate bowls.
- Add the chopped carrot and sweet potato to a medium saucepan filled with boiling water over medium heat. Allow to boil for 15 mins.
- Place the chopped broccoli into a separate saucepan and boil for 5-10 mins or until pierced easily with a fork.
- Into a separate saucepan, add the pasta, followed by boiling water and cook as instructed on the packaging. Drain all of the above when they are boiled/cooked through.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter, followed by the chopped garlic, and slowly add some of the milk.
- Add the flour and whisk into a creamy, even consistency. Add the salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast and tomato paste, followed by some more milk, and whisk until even.
- Blitz the carrot and sweet potato in a blender (along with some salt and pepper) into a smooth consistency and add to the frying pan. Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Strain the water from the saucepan containing the pasta. Add the contents of the frying pan, as well as the broccoli, and stir well.
- The dish is now ready to serve. Top with some extra cheese if you wish, along with some fresh parsley to really enhance the flavour!