Hey all! So, when I was challenged by Don Carlos to come up with a traditional Spanish recipe using their gorgeous oil, of course I went for the traditional, delicious Seafood Paella. Olive oil is used widely in spain and is the foundation of many traditional sauces. As well as that, seafood and fresh herbs are used commonly with a lot of dishes. Paella (which is one of their most famous rice dishes) can vary from region-to-region throughout the country, but the foundation of these dishes seems to be similar. Any one pot dish is going to be something I’m open to trying, and I loved having an excuse to cook with some mussels as they’re not the easiest to incorporate into a meal! On that note, mussels can be very filling without eating too much of them, and they are full of healthy fats like Omega-3!
- King prawns, 180 g (158 kcal)
- Cod fillets, 200 g (156 kcal)
- Fresh mussels, 100 g (71 kcal)
- Risotto or round rice, 200 g (260 kcal)
- Red bell pepper, large, 1 (51 kcal)
- Fresh parsley, 1 handful
- Onion, large, 1 (60 kcal)
- Garlic cloves, 3 (42 kcal)
- Olive oil, 3 tbsp (300 kcal)
- Sweet paprika, 1.5 tbsp
- Veg stock, 200 mL
- Saffron powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Rice vinegar, 1 tbsp
- Chopped tomatoes, 400 g (128 kcal)
- Lime, 1 (and extra for serving/garnishing)
- Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe serves 4
Kcals per serving: 307 kcal
- Before cooking, prepare all of the ingredients by chopping the pepper, onion, garlic finely and placing them into separate bowls. Followed by chopping the cod fillets and placing it into a separate bowl from the prawns and mussels.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. After a minute of heating up, drizzle it with 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pan, give them a stir and place the lid over the pan for two minutes.
- Add the chopped pepper to the pan, and place the lid over the pan for another two minutes.
- Sprinkle the paprika powder into the pan (1/2 tsp saffron powder optional) and stir well before adding the chopped pieces of cod. Drizzle in the rice vinegar which gives a nice kick. Place the lid over the pan for 2 minutes,
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Add the rice, followed by the veg stock. Spritz with a little salt and pepper. Stir well, place the lid on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Stir the contents of the pan again, before spreading out the prawns on top of the contents, followed by the mussels and chopped limes.
- Place the lid over the pan and cook for another 7 minutes.
- After this time, sprinkle some fresh parsley onto the contents of the pan, and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.