Now more than ever, we have more time to get creative in the kitchen. Just like engaging in an adult’s colouring book, gardening or taking to a musical instrument, decorating your food can be an act of mindfulness. Below, I’m sharing just one of many of my smoothie recipes, along with some information about the ingredients I have used within… I am always so curious when it comes to dissecting food down into its core nutrients!
Blueberries are thought to support prostate health and help to improve memory
Golgi berries contain many antioxidants, promote good sleep and benefit cardiovascular health
Lemons/Limes are detoxifying and can help reduce inflammation
Bananas promote bone health by feeding good bacteria in the gut and are a real energy booster
Avocados help improve fertility and help lower blood pressure
Cashews and almond nuts are a source of protein, healthy fat and fibre, while also lowering cholesterol and providing antioxidants
Chia seeds are high in Omega-3 fats, which are great for the heart
- Avocado x1
- Lime x1
- Banana 1/2
- Honey, 2 tbspns
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Handful of hazelnuts
- A cup of almond milk
- 2 cups of frozen berries
- Approx. 1.5 tbspns of flaxseeds, chia seeds and orange zest
- A sprinkle of Goji berries
- To make the consistency of the smoothie more thick, you can add in half a cup of yogurt (that will make it a non-vegan option, however)
The way I decorate my smoothie bowl is by pouring the smoothie into a dish before gently adding the other ingredients onto the top of it.
- Blend together the avocado, berries, honey and almond milk (making sure to leave the milk until last to give yourself a rough idea as to how much you’ll need), until it is of a smooth consistency throughout.
2. Fill the dish up halfway with the smoothie, making sure to pat it down with the back of a spoon as it might fall out in clumps.
3. When this is done, the time has come to use your imagination with the rest of the ingredients. What starts off the decorating for me is placing a line of banana along the middle of the dish…just think of the awesome benefits you’ll get from this recipe; that ought to get you enthusiastic about it.